Bonus: Free refrigerator sheet about your toddler, and exact words to use when you coach and connect with them. (Free download at the end of the post)
HERE ARE 3 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR TODDLERS:
1. TODDLERS ARE EGOCENTRIC
At 2 and 3 years, your child’s favourite word is like “me! Mine! I want!” This is because your child has developed a sense of identity.
Sharing is difficult for them because the part of his brain responsible for empathy is not developed.
2. TODDLERS ARE CONFUSED
Toddlers enjoy having autonomy but they also want your attention. It is common for toddlers to push their parents away, but come running back to them because of a need for connection.
3. TODDLERS FEEL MORE THAN THEY THINK
Toddlers operate from their emotional brain more than their logical brain because the latter is not fully developed yet.
Toddlers throw tantrums because they cannot manage those big emotions in them, and express their frustrations through tantrums, crying, and even violence.
How do you respond to your toddler?
- Don’t force him to share. If you insist that your child shares, as it might lead to more resentment.
- Talk to him about feelings of happiness when others share toys with him.
- Always stay close even when they push you away.
- Teach the concept of taking turns.
- Empower your children by giving them opportunities to choose and make decisions.
- Connect before you correct. Avoid rushing to explain to your kids , but rather validate their feelings first. (not behaviors)
More tips in the refrigerator sheet, download it below!
FREE download: Refrigerator sheet about your toddler, and exact words to use when you coach and connect with them.
You might be interested in:
- POSITIVE PARENTING SOLUTIONS – MOVE FROM NEGATIVE TO POSITIVE PHRASES